BDD is a process that defines features and executable specifications that are expressed using Cucumber and Gherkin. To best explore the practical application of BDD, implementations of the features and behaviors must be developed and tested. For this course, we are using Java implementations and testing to transform the features into implemented functionality. As such, it is helpful if incoming students know Java. There is no training on Java in this course. If students do not have a background in Java, they may simply follow along with the labs, run the solutions to verify implementation, and walk through the practical use of BDD.
Throughout this course, students will learn the fundamental skills required to make BDD and Specification by Example a success. Students will receive comprehensive training in test automation and will learn how to write executable specifications with Cucumber.
This skills-centric course is about 50% hands-on lab and 50% lecture ratio. Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will explore:
- Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
- 3 amigos
- Cucumber JVM
- Selenium WebDriver Integration
- Page Object Model with Page factory & Real time project frameworks
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional testing, Cucumber, Gherkin Selenium, TDD, BDD, programming, testing tools, test automation, QA, services, security and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs. Our team will collaborate with you to understand your needs and will target the course to focus on your specific learning objectives and goals.
The course is aimed at individuals and teams delivering and involved with software development and software quality assurance. Attendees might include Developers, Test Analysts, Senior Test Analysts, SCRUM development team members, Business Product Owners, Technical Test Managers and others. To be successful in this course, attending students should ideally have a working knowledge of Object-Oriented programming languages (such as C# or Java). Familiarity with basic Selenium skills will also be helpful.
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We will work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
- What is BDD & What it means in Agile
- 3 Amigos and Collaboration
- How Cucumber implements BDD
- Downloading Cucumber Jars
- Setup Cucumber project
- What is Gherkin language and how it is used in BDD
- Preparing Features File having test scenarios
- Writing step definitions to support test scenarios
- Writing Runner Class
- Annotations - Given, When, Then, And, But, Before and After
- Passing parameters in Step definition Functions
- Using regular expression in step implementation to parameterize
- Parameterizing complete scenario using features class
- Datatable in Cucumber overview and its implementation
- Pretty, Tags and Glue
- Background, Scenario Outline & Examples in Cucumber
- Generating Cucumber Reports
- Cucumber HTML and JSON Reports
- Using Assertions to report failure
- Setup Maven
- Download the Maven Dependencies for Cucumber, Selenium and Junit
- Running the Maven project from Command Console
- Create Selenium Project
- Introducing selenium layer
- Building custom functions
- Use Firefox Driver/ Multiple Drivers
- Use Xpath and ID to find elements
- Execute the Test
Page Objects and Page Factory Layer
- What is Page Object and its usage
- What is Page Factory in Selenium
- Create Page Objects and Page Factory Usage
- Elements Abstraction Layer
- Create Junit Tests using Page Objects
- Execute the Test
Build Automation Framework (Wiring all the components to build a Cucumber based Test Automation project of a Live Website)
- Pairing Exercise to derive and automate BDD scenario
- Create the Maven Project
- Create Cucumber Structure
- Create business focused Cucumber feature files
- Create Step definitions
- Executing project from Maven
- Background and Pending Exception
- Create Abstraction
- Introduce Page Objects
- Introduce class to support multiple browsers.
- Parallel Test Execution
- Parameterizing/repeating test cases from feature classes
- Implementing/deciding Tags
- Running all/limited tests
Student Materials: Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Our courses also include step by step hands-on lab instructions and and solutions, clearly illustrated for users to complete hands-on work in class, and to revisit to review or refresh skills at any time. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Classroom Setup Made Simple: Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure your classroom and lab environment is setup, tested and ready to go well in advance of the course delivery date, ensuring a smooth start to class and seamless hands-on experience for your students. We offer several flexible student machine setup options including guided manual set up for simple installation directly on student machines, or cloud based / remote hosted lab solutions where students can log in to a complete separate lab environment minus any installations, or we can supply complete turn-key, pre-loaded equipment to bring ready-to-go student machines to your facility. Please inquire for details, options and pricing.