Tableau Web Authoring Essentials is a two-day, hands-on course designed for the beginner Tableau Online or Tableau Server user with no previous experience or training on Tableau Desktop. It is for anyone who works with data—regardless of technical or analytical background. This course is designed to introduce you to the functions of web authoring in Tableau Online and Tableau Server. In this course you’ll learn the skills needed to create, edit, and interact with basic worksheets that use previously published data sources.
The Tableau Training Series is independent-format training that can be tuned and adjusted to best meet your needs. Our materials are flexible, comprehensive, and are always instructed by a senior instructor with a deep understanding of Tableau and its most current features, benefits and functionality in a wide array of uses. This is not Official Tableau Training.
This skills-focused course combines expert lecture, real-world demonstrations and group discussions with machine-based practical labs and exercises. Working in a hands-on learning environment led by our expert facilitator, students will learn how to:Working in a hands-on learning environment led by our expert facilitator, students will learn how to:
- Navigate the Tableau Online and Tableau Server user interface
- Understand Tableau terminology
- Interact with existing Tableau workbooks and create custom views
- Tag content, subscribe to views, and export views
- Connect to previously published data sources
- Create and edit workbooks in the web authoring environment
- Use filters and sorting to customize data views
- Work with date fields in Tableau
- Explore and create common visualization types, including crosstabs, geographic maps, bar charts, line
- graphs, heat maps, highlight tables, combined axis charts, and scatter plots
- Create dashboards
- Use reference lines and built-in analytics to highlight important elements of your data
- Create basic calculations including string manipulation, basic arithmetic calculations, custom calculations and ratios, and quick table calculations
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Tableau, reporting, data analytics, visualization and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs.
This is an introductory-level Tableau course geared for attendees new to using the desktop edition of the tool, or for those who want a refresher of the basics or newer features. Ideal attendees would be beginner Tableau users who want to quickly get up to speed with next-level Tableau features and functions. Individuals working with data-regardless of technical or analytical background are a fit for this course.
Please see the Related Courses tab for Pre-Requisite courses, other similar courses you might review as an alternative, as well as suggested Next-Step Follow-On Courses and Learning Path recommendations.
- Introduction to web authoring
- Editing workbooks in Tableau
- Working with data
- Visualizing spreadsheets
- Simplifying and sorting your data
- Slicing your data by date
- Customizing your data
- Analyzing your data
- Mapping geographic data
- Making your views available
Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Our courses also include step by step hands-on lab instructions and and solutions, clearly illustrated for users to complete hands-on work in class, and to revisit to review or refresh skills at any time. Students will also receive the course environment software and set up files, project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.