Geared for experienced Tableau Users, Tableau Prep Building (Tableau Data Prep) for Experienced Users is a two-day hands-on course designed to provide you with the tools and knowledge of how to prepare and shape data in Tableau Prep. It’s best suited for people who have 3-6 months experience in Tableau Desktop and are somewhat familiar with writing calculations. Throughout the course, our instructors will take you from conceptual data preparation material to creating useful Tableau Prep flows that can be output to Tableau Desktop for analysis
NOTE: The Tableau Training Series is independent-format training that can be tuned and adjusted to best meet your needs. Our materials are flexible, comprehensive, and are always instructed by a senior instructor with a deep understanding of Tableau and its most current features, benefits and functionality in a wide array of uses.
This skills-focused course combines expert lecture, real-world demonstrations and group discussions with machine-based practical labs and exercises.
Working in a hands-on learning environment led by our expert facilitator, students will learn how to:
- Understand what data works best with Tableau Desktop and how to shape and clean it appropriately to get
- Learn how to maximize flexibility from Tableau Desktop.
- Learn how Tableau Prep folds into the analytic cycle, and when to prep data in Tableau Prep vs. Tableau Desktop.
- Understand the terminology used in Tableau Prep.
- Know how Tableau Prep approaches data sampling.
- Create and understand data prep flows that address common scenarios encountered in data preparation, as applied to common data use cases
- Know how to view data prepared in Tableau Prep using Tableau Desktop.
- Understand data exploration and validation in Tableau Prep and Tableau Desktop.
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Tableau, reporting, data analytics, visualization and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs.
This is an Intermediate and beyond-level Tableau course geared for experienced Tableau users who wish to leverage Tableau’s more advanced capabilities.
Take Before: Students should have experience in the topics below or should take one of the following as a pre-requisite:
- TTDTAB001 Introduction to Tableau | Tableau JumpStart
- TTDTAB002 Tableau QuickStart
- TTDTAB004 JumpStart Great Data Visualization with Tableau Desktop (for New Users)
- TTDTAB006 Tableau Desktop Fundamentals
Related Courses / Next Steps: We offer a wide array of ‘next-step’ Tableau courses for various skill levels and roles. Please see the Related Courses tab for Pre-Requisite course specifics and links, links to similar courses you might review as an alternative, as well as suggested Next-Step Follow-On Courses and Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most. Topics, agenda and labs are subject to change, and may adjust during live delivery based on audience interests and skill-level.
- Introduction to the workspace
- Introduction to the workflow
- Data literacy concepts
- Connecting to and configuring data
- Exploring data
- Cleaning data
- Preferred data structures in Tableau
- Shaping data
- Combining data
- Opening a data sample and creating an output file
- Best practices for data preparation
- Complex flows
- Starting with a question
- Hands-on data preparation
Hands-on Access Made Simple. All course materials, data sets, Tableau course software (limited version, for course use only), course notes and related resources (as applicable) are provided for attendees in our easy access, no installation required, remote lab environment for the duration of the course. Our tech team will help set up, test and verify lab access for each attendee prior to the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and successful hands-on course experience for all participants.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! Most courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access, Review Labs, Live Instructor Follow-on Support, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please ask for details.