Tableau Desktop Fundamentals is a two-day, hands-on course designed for users new to Tableau who handle and work with data, regardless of their technical or analytical background. Working in a hands-on learning environment, you’ll learn how to use the key features of Tableau to move from simple to complex visualizations, and then how to combine them in interactive dashboards.
If you’re looking to combine introductory Tableau Desktop topics with a deeper dive into Data Visualization, you might consider the three-day superset course, JumpStart Great Data Visualization with Tableau Desktop (for New Users) (TTDTAB004) , as an alternative.
NOTE: The Tableau Training Series is independent-format training that can be tuned and adjusted to best meet your needs. Our materials are flexible, comprehensive, and are always instructed by a senior instructor with a deep understanding of Tableau and its most current features, benefits and functionality in a wide array of uses.
Working in a hands-on learning environment led by our expert facilitator, students will learn how to:
- Connect to your data, and Edit and save a data source.
- Understand Tableau terminology.
- Use the Tableau interface / paradigm to effectively create powerful visualizations.
- Create basic calculations including string manipulation, basic arithmetic calculations, custom aggregations and ratios, date math, logic statements and quick table calculations.
- Represent your data using the following visualization types: Cross Tabs, Geographic Maps, Heat Maps, Distribution Charts, Tree Maps, Pie Charts and Bar Charts, Dual Axis and Combo Charts with different mark types, Box Plots, Highlight Tables, Scatter Plots
- Use Reference Lines to highlight elements of your data.
- Use groups, bins, hierarchies, sorts, sets, and filters to create focused and effective visualizations
- Use Measure Name and Measure Value fields to create visualizations with multiple measures and dimensions.
- Handle changes in your data source such as field addition, deletion or name changes.
- Share your visualizations with others.
- Combine your visualizations into Interactive Dashboards and publish them to the web.
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Tableau, reporting, data analytics, visualization and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs.
This is an introductory-level Tableau course geared for attendees new to using the desktop edition of the tool, or for those who want a refresher of the basics or newer features. Ideal attendees would be beginner Tableau users who want to quickly get up to speed with next-level Tableau features and functions. Individuals working with data-regardless of technical or analytical background are a fit for this course.
Follow On / Next-Steps: We offer a wide array of ‘next-step’ Tableau courses for various skill levels and roles. Please see the Related Courses tab for Pre-Requisite course specifics and links, links to similar courses you might review as an alternative, as well as suggested Next-Step Follow-On Courses and Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most. Topics, agenda and labs are subject to change, and may adjust during live delivery based on audience interests, skill-level and participation.
- Getting Started with Tableau
- Tableau Desktop and the Tableau Product Line
- Application Terminology
- Visual Cues for Fields
- Getting Started in Tableau Desktop
- Elements of a Visualization
- Connecting to Data
- Creating a Live Data Connection
- Saving and Editing a Data Source
- Metadata Grid
- Understanding Changes to Data
- Data Connection Options
- Sharing Options
- Simplifying and Sorting Your Data
- Data Filtering
- Creating Date Filters
- Organizing your Data
- Using Groups
- Creating and Using Hierarchies
- Slicing your Data by Date
- Working with Dates in Tableau
- Using Discrete Date Parts
- Defining a Fiscal Year
- Creating Custom Dates
- Using Multiple Measures in a View
- Using Measure Values and Measure Names in a View
- Combo Charts
- Combined or Shared Axis Charts
- Creating Dual Axis Charts
- Showing the Relationship between Numerical Values
- Creating Scatter Plots
- Using Sets
- Mapping Data Geographically
- Mapping in Tableau
- Geographic Mapping
- Background Maps and Layers
- Navigation and Selection in Maps
- Viewing Specific Values
- Creating Heat Maps
- Creating Crosstabs
- Creating Highlight Tables
- Grand Totals, Sub-Totals, and Changing Aggregation
- Customizing your Data
- Calculation Types
- Parts of a Calculated Field
- Options for Creating Calculated Fields
- Strings, Dates, and Type Conversion Functions
- Calculations and Aggregations
- Analyzing Data with Quick Table Calculations
- Using Quick Table Calculations
- Showing Breakdowns of the Whole
- Pie Charts and Parts of the Whole
- Creating Tree Maps
- Viewing Distributions
- Bins and Histograms
- Box and Whisker Plots
- Highlighting Data with Reference Lines
- Using Reference Lines
- Reference Bands
- Using the Analytics Pane
- Instant Analytics
- Making Your Views Available
- Building Dashboards
- Dashboard Actions
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a digital Student Guide and/or Course Notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions (as applicable), diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment, or local installation, is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. In some cases we can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Course Recordings, Live Instructor Follow-on Support, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.