Python Basics with REST is an introductory and beyond-level practical, hands-on Python training course that leads the student from the basics of “thinking” as a Software Developer into writing and running Python scripts to more advanced features such as Python REST client, operations, and using the extensive functionality of Python modules. Extra emphasis is placed on features unique to Python, such as tuples, array slices, and output formatting. This comprehensive, practical course provides an in-depth exploration of working with the programming language, not an academic overview of syntax and grammar. Students will immediately be able to use Python to complete tasks in the real world.
Skills-Focused, Hands On Learning: This course is about 50% hands-on lab to 50% lecture ratio, combining engaging, informed instructor presentations, demonstrations and discussions with extensive machine-based student labs and practical project work. Throughout the course students will learn to write essential Python scripts using the most current and efficient skills and techniques.
Working within in an engaging, hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert instructor, students will learn to:
- Thinking as a Software Developer, including coding logic and structures
- Create working Python scripts following best practices
- Use python data types appropriately
- Read and write files with both text and binary data
- Get familiar with the standard library and its work-saving modules
- Use lesser known but powerful Python data types
- Create "real-world", professional Python REST client applications
- Work with dates, times, and calendars
- Know when to use collections such as lists, dictionaries, and sets
- Understand Pythonic features such as comprehensions and iterators
- Write robust code using exception handling
This in an introductory-level Python course geared for student who are new to Software Development and use Python in projects, or system administrators and web site administrators who want to use Python to support their server installations, as well as anyone else who wants to automate or simplify common tasks with the use of Python scripts. Basic familiarity with any programming or scripting language would be helpful, along with a working, user-level knowledge of Unix/Linux, Mac, or Windows.
Student Materials: Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Our courses also include step by step hands-on lab instructions and and solutions, clearly illustrated for users to complete hands-on work in class, and to revisit to review or refresh skills at any time. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.