Geared for experienced C++ developers, Object-Oriented Design Patterns and Best Practices in C++ (with Gang of Four and SOLID Principles) is lab-intensive hands-on design patterns training course that explores the most common object-oriented design patterns (Gang of Four) and how to use these patterns to develop solid, robust and reusable software development applications. Students will also review essential OO programming concepts.
Working in a hands-on environment, developers will explore key Creational, Structural and Behavior Design patterns and how they used most effectively in building robust, reusable applications. This course combines the use of hands-on coding labs with several “mini-projects” to be completed throughout the training to get the students using and reviewing the Patterns in a practical manner. All lab coding work and examples can be performed working in a C++ development environment. The course also contains several “thinking and drawing” lab exercises as a component of the object-oriented overview portion of the training course.
*Ways To Learn!*
- Attend a Class! For your convenience, this course is available on our online-live Public Schedule. Please see the current scheduled dates listed below. Please ask if you don't see a date you'd prefer. Be also be sure to check out our current Special Offers for extra savings for individuals, small groups or corporate rates for your organization.
- Team Training! We're also happy to deliver this as a private event for your team or organization, tailored to suit your needs. See our Training Solutions page for details.
- Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.
Students will learn how to effectively assign responsibilities using the patterns and principles of SOLID. Throughout the remainder of the course we will explore a wide variety of design patterns, targeting levels of coverage to focus on the most commonly used Patterns, and to simply survey others. Students will compare and contrast patterns and will explore the advantages and disadvantages of using certain patterns for explicit development functions in the C++ environment.
This course consists of approximately 50% hands-on lab work (Patterns). Throughout the course students will be led through a series of progressively advanced topics, where each topic consists of lecture and group discussion. This class is “technology-centric”, designed to train attendees in the most current, effective techniques with the most effective practices.
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional C++, programming, development, design, testing, services, application security and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs. Our team will collaborate with you to understand your needs and will target the course to focus on your specific learning objectives and goals.
This an introductory-level programming course, designed for experienced C++ developers who need to identify, design, and lead the implementation of OO projects. We will explore and apply the terminology, the specification, the processes and technologies specific to OO. Examples are written in C++. Attendees should be familiar with UML and have basic programming experience in C++. This course is not recommended for developers new to C++ programming.
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Session: Design Principles
Lesson: Design Goals
- Rotting Design
- Design Goals
- Making it Happen
- Needless Complexity
- Needless Repetition
Lesson: SOLID Design
- Single Responsibility
- Liskov Substitution Principle
- Interface Separation Principle
- Dependency Inversion Principle
Session: Introduction to Design Patterns
Lesson: Introduction to Design Patterns
- Why We Use Patterns
- A Crisp Understanding of Patterns
- Design Patterns in Particular
- Sound Design Principles Implemented by Patterns
Lesson: Patterns and Principles
- Differences Between Principles and Patterns
- Overview of “Gang of Four” Patterns
Session: “Gang of Four” Design Patterns
Each Pattern below will include:
- Context; Problem; Solution
- Components; Implementation
- Code Examples; Consequences
- Review and Summary
- Supplemental Information
Lesson: Creational Patterns
- Factory Method
Lesson: Structural Patterns
Lesson: Behavioral Patterns
- Template Method
Session: Working with Patterns
Lesson: Applying Patterns
- Usefulness of Patterns
- Selecting the Right Pattern
- Adapting an Existing Pattern
- Creating a New Pattern
- Language Considerations
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work. Any courseware of lab materials provided in a cloud (if applicable) will also be made available to you separately.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment, or local installation, is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. We can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.