Next-Level Tableau Visual Analytics (Intermediate) is a two-day, fast paced hands-on intermediate and beyond level Tableau course geared for experienced users who wish to expand their visual analysis toolbox, strengthen their analytical skills and gain a better understanding of visualization best practices. Throughout the course you’ll learn how to connect and apply the science of data visualization to the principles of visual best practices. In this course, you will also learn how to leverage research on human perception to create Tableau visualizations that truly help people see and understand data.
Throughout the course, you’ll practice designing advanced visualizations that effectively share information and insights with others. This course will further strengthen your understanding of visual best practices. You’ll exit this course a better analyst, designer, and communicator.
NOTE: The Tableau Training Series is independent-format training that can be tuned and adjusted to best meet your needs. Our materials are flexible, comprehensive, and are always instructed by a senior instructor with a deep understanding of Tableau and its most current features, benefits and functionality in a wide array of uses.
Working within an engaging, hands-on learning environment led by our Tableau expert practitioner, attendees will learn to:
- Design visualizations to effectively leverage sensory and short-term memory.
- Design visualizations to inform viewers without misleading.
- Effectively use chart types to answer specific questions.
- Design dashboards and stories using visual best practices.
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Tableau, reporting, data analytics, visualization and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs.
This is an Intermediate and beyond-level course is designed for a strong Tableau user who wants to learn more about best practices in visual analytics. This course uses Tableau to develop and discuss visualizations but does not include instruction on how to use Tableau products. The course assumes that students already know how to navigate and use Tableau.
Take Before: Attending students should have skills equivalent to or should have recently attended one of these courses:
- TTDTAB002 Introduction to Tableau / Tableau JumpStart (2 days)
- TTDTAB004 Introduction to Creating Great Data Visualizations with Tableau Desktop (for New Users) (3 days)
Please see the Related Courses tab for Pre-Requisite course specifics and links, links to similar courses you might review as an alternative, as well as suggested Next-Step Follow-On Courses and Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most. Topics, agenda and labs are subject to change at any time, and may also adjust during live delivery based on audience interests, skill-level and participation.
- Visual analytics process
- Describe the visual analytics process and its advantages
- Memory and processing
- Analyze how memory is used to interpret visualizations
- Revise visualizations to reduce cognitive load
- Effectively use pre-attentive attributes in visualizations
- Informing without misleading
- Identify ways to design visualizations so they inform without misleading
- Assign chart types effectively
- Identify the most appropriate chart types to answer
- specific questions
- Identify best practices and considerations for a variety of chart types
- Effectively use chart types to answer specific questions
- Designing dashboards and stories
- Identify visual best practices for dashboard and story design
- Describe the process of designing a dashboard or story
- Create a dashboard or story using visual best practices
Hands-on Setup Made Simple! All course materials, data sets, Tableau course software (limited version, for course use only), course notes and related resources (as applicable) are provided for attendees in our easy access, no installation required, remote lab environment for the duration of the course. Our tech team will help set up, test and verify lab access for each attendee prior to the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and successful hands-on course experience for all participants.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! Most courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access, Review Labs, Live Instructor Follow-on Support, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please ask for details.