Selenium provides mechanisms for interacting with web pages through browsers, including locating and interacting with specific features within a web interface. A tool such as Selenium IDE or Katalon can be used to perform the testing in a relatively manual fashion. Selenium also comes with WebDriver, which provides a programmatic interface (API) for controlling and managing Selenium tests and interactions. WebDriver provides a mechanism for capturing and repeating tests with a web interface.
Manual Web Testing with Selenium is a hands-on web testing course, essential for experienced web developers and test engineers who need to verify web applications. This course introduces the student to the concepts and techniques of testing Web Application with the Selenium, as well as working with Katalon and Selenese.
To use WebDriver, developers must work with a programming language such as Java to control and manage the testing. It would be helpful if students have some basic Java syntax knowledge. Participants without coding skills are welcome to follow along with the hands-on labs and input solutions.
Students will leave this course armed with the skills required to recognize how to test web applications for sufficiency. This course uses Selenium and Katalon to design and implement tests, working through a sample Web Application that requires several testing scenarios.
Working in a hands-on learning environment led by our expert practitioner, attendees will learn to:
- Understand web page testing needs and how Selenium meets those needs
- Analyze a web application from a functional and testing perspective
- Design, code, and run manual tests using the Katalon Recorder
- Use Selenium constructs to locate elements on a web page
- Test web page forms and the elements in those forms
- Use test suites to organize and manage tests
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional testing, Selenium, Cucumber, Gherkin, Python, TDD, BDD, programming, testing tools, test automation, QA, services, security and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs. Our team will collaborate with you to understand your needs and will target the course to focus on your specific learning objectives and goals.
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, related courses that offer similar skills or topics, and Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We will work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Session: Selenium Basics
Lesson: Introduction to Selenium
- Selenium Concepts and Terminology
- Manual Testing using Selenium and the Katalon Recorder
- Automated Testing using Selenium WebDriver
- Lab: Running the Web Application
Lesson: Using the Katalon Recorder
- Start Katalon Recorder
- Understand the components of Katalon Recorder
- Use Web Developer Inspector to inspect elements in a web page
- Lab: Analyzing the Web Application
Lesson: Creating and Running a Manual Test
- Testing planning and Test Plans
- Use Katalon Recorder to create and run a manual test
- Understand the Katalon Recorder components
- Page Transitions and Globbing
- Lab: Creating and Running a Manual Test
- Lab: Testing Alerts
Session: Testing with Katalon Recorder and Selenium
Lesson: Selenium Locators
- Finding Spots on Web Pages
- Built-In Locators
- Find by HTML Features
- Find using CSS
- Find using XPath and the DOM
- Lab: Working with Locators
- Selenese Overview
- Selenese Commands
- Action Commands
- Accessor Commands
- Assertion Commands
- Lab: Working with Selenese
- Selenese Commands for Working with Forms
- Form Actions
- Text Form Actions
- Button Form Actions
- Other Actions
- Lab: Testing Forms
Lesson: Test Suites
- Group manual tests into test suites
- Create test suites when creating tests
- Importing tests created with the Selenium IDE
- Exercise: Test Suites
Lesson: Exporting Manual Tests
- Export a manual test to a WebDriver Java test
- Export process and options
- Establishing test naming conventions
- Exercise: Exporting a Manual Test to WebDriver
Course Materials: Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Hands-on Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure your student machines and learning environment is setup, tested and ready to go well in advance of the course delivery date, ensuring a smooth start to class and seamless hands-on experience for your students. We offer several flexible student machine setup options including guided manual set up for simple installation directly on student machines, or cloud based / remote hosted lab solutions where students can log in to a complete separate lab environment minus any installations, or we can supply complete turn-key, pre-loaded equipment to bring ready-to-go student machines to your students or in-person facility. Please inquire for details.