Jira for Team Members introduces Agile team members and team leaders to the Jira platform. We’ll cover how to create projects, create and track tasks, report and resolve issues, and create and use workflows. We’ll discuss the key screens, fields, and tools within Jira and common plugins. We’ll discuss how Jira fits into an Agile team context and integrates with its ceremonies, and how various team members will interact with Jira during the course of their work.
Our typical classroom lab environment is a hosted Jira solution using the latest major version available. Other versions and installations can be used upon request.
NOTE: Students responsible for Jira administration should consider TTDV7540 JumpStart to Jira for Administrators as an alternative course.
This course provides essential understanding in the practical use of the Jira in an Agile context. This course is approximately 50% hands-on, combining expert lecture, real-world demonstrations and group discussions with machine-based practical labs and exercises.
Students will understand:
- What Jira is, its features, and how plugins can be used for different types of project management
- How it’s used to manage application development
- How to work with stock screens, fields, and workflows
- How to report and resolve issues
- How to track project time using Jira
- How Jira Agile (FKA Greenhopper) works with Jira
- How to use Jira in Sprint planning, meetings, and retrospectives
- How to create and interpret burndown and velocity charts
- How to use the reporting to continuously improve team mechanics
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Jira, Agile, DevOps, container, and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs.
Attending students should be new to Jira (this is NOT for experienced users), and are required to have a background in basic Enterprise application development. Students should have experience working on project teams (in any capacity).
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Session: Jira Core
Lesson: Jira Overview
- Jira Features and uses
- Jira, Agile, and Kanban
- Scrum Ceremonies
- Team Members and Users
- Exercise: Hello, Jira (New Project)
Lesson: Jira Core
- Core essentials
- Exercise: Working with Jira Core
Lesson: Jira Projects
- Project Screens
- Key Screens
- Tasks and Task Management
- Process Management
- Project Management
- Exercise: Setting up your project
- Issues and Bugs
- Issue Types
- Working with Issues
- Operations and Sub-Tasks
- Resolving Issues
- Exercise: Reporting and Resolving Issues
- Workflow Essentials
- Workflow operations
- Editing, copying and deleting
- Exercise: Working with Workflows
- Issue Operations
- Workflow Transitions
- Screen Operations
- Exercise: Exploiting Screens
- Custom Fields
- Issue Features
- Time Tracking
- Statuses and Resolutions
- Exercise: Managing Fields
Session: Jira Agile (FKA Greenhopper)
Lesson: Jira Agile Overview
- Jira Agile
- Agile Board Filters and JQL
Lesson: Jira Agile for Scrum
- Scrum Roles
- Scrum Master
- The Scrum Board
- Creating Epics and Stories
- Planning Sprints
- Creating issues in Jira Agile
- Starting, Working, and Completing a Sprint
- Burndown Chart
- Velocity Chart
- Exercise: Scrum Reporting with Jira
Lesson: Tips, Tricks, and Recommendations [Optional]
- Sprint Planning
- Agile Cards
- Checkins and Jira
- Continuous Integration
- Documenting Meeting and Retrospectives
- Jira and Kanban
- Jira to team improvement
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. Please inquire for details and options.