Java 8 Concurrency and Reactive Programming using Project Reactor is a two-day, fast-paced coding course geared for experienced developers who have prior working knowledge of Java. Throughout the course students learn the best practices for writing non-blocking applications in Java 8 using both the Java Concurrency Framework and the Reactor API. The course provides an in-depth view of the enhancements made to the Java Concurrency API in Java 8, allowing for the development of non-blocking asynchronous processes.
This course also covers Project Reactor. Reactor is a fourth-generation Reactive library for building non-blocking applications on the JVM based on the Reactive Streams Specification. Please note that this course is also available for RxJava.
This “skills-centric” course is about 50% hands-on lab and 50% lecture, designed to train attendees in next-level Java development skills, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices. Working within in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will explore:
- Explore Parallel programming in Java including coverage of multithreading and concurrency
- The asynchronous, non-blocking concurrency API introduced in Java 8
- Reactive Programming in Java using Project Reactor
- Understand event publishers and Subscribers
- Apply operators to Reactive events
- Understand the concept of Backpressure
- Properly handle exceptions in the reactive process
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Java, JEE and Java for Web application development, design, testing, services, application security and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs. Our team will collaborate with you to understand your needs and will target the course to focus on your specific learning objectives and goals.
This is an intermediate level Java SE (JSE) developer course, designed for experienced Java 8 developers. Attendees should have current hands-on experience in developing basic Java 8 applications. This course is NOT for new developers or non-developers.
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Session: Multithreading and Concurrency
Lesson: Introduction to Multithreading and Concurrency
- Principles of Multithreading
- The Thread class and Runnable interface
- Explore thread synchronization
- Introduce the Java Concurrency API
Lesson: Concurrent Java
- Thread management using Executors
- The common thread-pool
- Submitting and controlling asynchronous tasks
- Explore the locking API
- Lab: Working with Concurrent Java
Lesson: Non-blocking asynchronous tasks
- The CompletableFuture
- Define non-blocking processes
- Lab: CompletableFuture
Session: Project Reactor
Lesson: Introduction to Project Reactor
- Introduce the Reactor Building blocks
- Flux and Mono
- Creating observables
- Subscribing to a stream
Lesson: Reactive Operators
- Introduce Operators
- Show the use of RxMarbles (marble diagrams)
- Explain some commonly used operators
- Callback operators
Lesson: Schedulers (Multithreading)
- Thread usage of subscriber and consumer
- Using the subscribeOn method
- Introduce the Scheduler interface
- Using the observeOn method
- Strategies for dealing with Backpressure
- “reactive pull” backpressure
Lesson: Exception Handling
- Handling errors in onError
- Exception handling strategies
- Using onErrorReturn or onErrorNext operators
- Using the retry operators
- The Global Error Handler
Course Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. Please inquire for details and options.