Introduction to Tableau Visual Analytics for Experienced Users is a two-day, hands-on Tableau course geared for experienced users who wish to expand their visual analysis toolbox, strengthen their analytical skills and gain a better understanding of visualization best practices. Throughout the course you’ll engage in active planning for elegant visual design, working in a hands-on environment, led by our expert practitioner. You’ll learn how to answer data questions with the most effective visual responses, designed for your intended audience, while implementing dashboards that reflect best practices. You’ll exit this course a better analyst, designer, and communicator.
This skills-focused combines expert lecture, real-world demonstrations and group discussions with machine-based practical labs and exercises. Working in a hands-on learning environment led by our expert facilitator, you’ll learn how to:
- Describe the history, theory, and science behind data visualization, and how all this is built into Tableau’s DNA.
- Engage in the data analysis process including everything from planning your line of questioning to reviewing and communicating your findings.
- Use some basic principles of human visual perception and cognition in your chart design.
- Critique charts and dashboards and offer suggestions for improvement. Audience & Pre-Requisites
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Tableau, reporting, data analytics, visualization and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs.
This Intermediate-level course is designed for a strong Tableau user who wants to learn more about best practices in visual analytics. The Visual Analytics course helps experienced Tableau users connect the science of data visualization to the principles of visual best practices. In this course, you will also learn how to leverage research on human perception to create Tableau visualizations that truly help people see and understand data. This course uses Tableau to develop and discuss visualizations but does not include instruction on how to use Tableau products—we expect that you already know how to navigate and use Tableau.
Take Before: Attending students should have skills equivalent to or should have recently attended one of these courses:
- TTDTAB002 Introduction to Tableau / Tableau JumpStart (2 days)
- TTDTAB020 Intermediate Tableau Visual Analytics (2 days)
- TTDTAB025 Advanced Tableau
Please see the Related Courses tab for pre-req course links, follow on course recommendations, skills map and suggested learning paths.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We will work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most. Topics, agenda and labs are subject to change, and may adjust during live delivery based on audience interests, skill-level and participation.
- Introducing Visual Analytics
- What is visual analytics?
- Strengths and weaknesses of the human visual system
- Laying the Groundwork for Visual Analysis
- The analytical process
- Preparing for analysis
- Visual Mapping Techniques
- Working with human perceptual and cognitive processes
- Encoding data into visual form
- Working with color
- Solving Real-World Problems
- Getting a feel for your data
- Time series analysis
- Comparing categories and measures
- Communicating Your Findings
- Fine-tuning for more effective visualization
- Storytelling and guided analytics
All course software (limited version Tableau, for course use only), courseware files or course notes (as applicable), labs / data sets and solutions (as applicable) are provided for you in our “easy access / no install required” remote lab environment. Our dedicated live tech team works with every student to ensure everyone is set up with working access and ready to go prior to every course start date, ensuring a smooth delivery and great hands-on experience.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! Most courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access, Review Labs, Live Instructor Follow-on Support, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please ask for details.