*Ways To Learn*
- Attend a Class! For your convenience, this course is available on our online-live Public Schedule in full day format, or flexible hours half-day Mini-Camp short course sessions in AM or PM hours. Please see the current scheduled dates listed below. Please ask if you don't see a date you'd prefer. Be also be sure to check out our current Special Offers for extra savings.
- Team Training! We're also happy to deliver this as a private event for your team or organization, tailored to suit your needs. See our Training Solutions page for details.
- Trivera's Every-Course Extras bring High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.
Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will learn to:
- Walk through different stages of developing robust applications using Node.js
- Install and use Node.js for development
- Use the Express application framework
- Work with REST service development using the Restify framework
- Use data storage engines such as MySQL, SQLITE3, and MongoDB
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Follow-On Courses and Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We will work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
- Overview of Node.js
- The capabilities of Node.js
- Why should you use Node.js?
- The Node.js event-driven architecture
- Developing microservices or maxiservices with Node.js
- Setting Up Node.js
- System requirements
- Installing Node.js using package managers
- Installing from the source on POSIX-like systems
- Installing multiple Node.js instances with nvm
- Requirements for installing native code modules
- Choosing Node.js versions to use and the version policy
- Choosing editors and debuggers for Node.js
- Running and testing commands
- Advancing Node.js with ECMAScript 2015, 2016, 2017, and beyond
- Exploring Node.js Modules
- Defining a Node.js module
- Finding and loading modules using require and import
- Using npm – the Node.js package management system
- The Yarn package management system
- HTTP Servers and Clients
- Sending and receiving events with EventEmitter
- Understanding HTTP server applications
- HTTP Sniffer – listening to the HTTP conversation
- Web application frameworks
- Getting started with Express
- Creating an Express application to compute Fibonacci numbers
- Making HTTPClient requests
- Calling a REST backend service from an Express application
- Your First Express Application
- Exploring Promises and async functions in Express router functions
- Architecting an Express application in the MVC paradigm
- Creating the Notes application
- Theming your Express application
- Scaling up – running multiple Notes instances
- Implementing the Mobile-First Paradigm
- Understanding the problem – the Notes app isn't mobile friendly
- Learning the mobile-first paradigm theory
- Using Twitter Bootstrap on the Notes application
- Flexbox and CSS Grids
- Mobile-first design for the Notes application
- Using third-party custom Bootstrap themes
- Data Storage and Retrieval
- Remembering that data storage requires asynchronous code
- Logging and capturing uncaught errors
- Storing notes in a filesystem
- Storing notes with the LevelDB datastore
- Storing notes in SQL with SQLite3
- Storing notes the ORM way with Sequelize
- Storing notes in MongoDB
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work. Any courseware of lab materials provided in a cloud (if applicable) will also be made available to you separately.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment, or local installation, is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. We can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.