Linux System Administration is a comprehensive hands-on course that teaches students how to install, configure and maintain an Enterprise Linux system in a networked environment.
This lab-intensive class explores core administrative tasks such as: creating and managing users, creating and maintaining file systems, determining and implementing security measures and performing software installation and package management. Linux networking topics include installing and supporting SSH, NFS, Samba and the Apache Web server. Students will explore common security issues, as well as several tools, such as the PAM modules that help secure the operating system and network environment. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be prepared to maintain Linux systems in a networked business environment.
Although the course includes installing and configuring a CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 Linux system, much of the course content also applies to Oracle, Ubuntu, Scientific and other current versions of mainstream Linux distributions. Labs include user and group maintenance, system backups and restoration, software management, administration tasks automation, file system creation and maintenance, managing remote access, working with cron, and configuring basic file sharing and Web services, as well as working with system logging utilities such as rsyslog and much more.
This course is about 50% lab to lecture ratio, combining expert instructor-led discussions with practical hands-on skills that emphasize current techniques, best practices and standards. Working in this hands-on lab environment, guided by our expert practitioner, attendees will explore:
- Installing the Linux operating system and configuring peripherals
- Performing and modifying startup and shutdown processes
- Configuring and maintaining basic networking services
- Creating and maintaining system users and groups
- Understanding and administering file permissions on directories and regular files
- Planning and creating disk partitions and file systems
- Performing maintenance on file systems
- Identifying and managing Linux processes
- Automating tasks with cron
- Performing backups and restoration of files
- Working with system log files
- Troubleshooting system problems
- Analyzing and taking measures to increase system performance
- Configuring file sharing with NFS
- Configuring Samba for file sharing with the Windows clients
- Setting up a basic Web server
- Understanding the components for setting up a LAMP server
- Implementing basic security measures
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Unix, Linux, Scripting, administration, networking, programming, database and other related courses which may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your learning objectives.
This is an introductory-level systems administration course geared for Systems Administrators and users who wish to learn how to how to install, configure and maintain an Enterprise Linux system in a networked environment. Attendees should have incoming experience with common UNIX/Linux user-level commands, such as moving, copying and editing files. Experience with the vi editor is a plus
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Learning Path recommendations.
Course Materials: Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Lab Setup Made Simple. All course labs and solutions, data sets, Tableau course software (limited version, for course use only), detailed courseware, lab guides and resources (as applicable) are provided for attendees in our easy access, no installation required, remote lab environment for the duration of the course. Our tech team will help set up, test and verify lab access for each attendee prior to the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and successful hands-on course experience for all participants.