*Ways To Learn!*
- Attend a Class! For your convenience, this course is available on our online-live Public Schedule. Please see the current scheduled dates listed below. Please ask if you don't see a date you'd prefer. Be also be sure to check out our current Special Offers for extra savings for individuals, small groups or corporate rates for your organization.
- Team Training! We're also happy to deliver this as a private event for your team or organization, tailored to suit your needs. See our Training Solutions page for details.
- Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.
This ‘skills-focused’ course is approximately 50% hands-on, combining expert lecture, real-world demonstrations and group discussions with machine-based practical labs and exercises. Our instructors are highly experienced practitioners who bring years of current "on-the-job" experience into every classroom. Working within in a hands-on learning environment guided by our expert team, attendees will explore:
- How to effectively meet requirements using the full range of HTML5 semantic and structural elements
- To work with technologies such as web storage, application caching, and cross-domain messaging to improve performance and the user experience
- What features CSS3 supports and how they can be effectively used with HTML5 and other technologies
- To adapt to varying degrees of browser support for HTML5 and CSS3
- To traverse and manipulate the DOM and handle events in ways that work in all browsers
- What is needed to effectively debug these web technologies
- How to use both browser-based and proxy-based debuggers and tools
This is an introductory level course, designed for web developers that need to upgrade core skills leveraging modern scripting and web development languages and standards. This course provides an excellent foundation for continued learning to gain in-demand skills in in-demand skills and technologies such as Angular, React, NodeJS, JQuery and more. This course can also be tuned for non-developers. Please inquire for details.
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Follow-On Courses and Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We will work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Session: HTML Refresher
Lesson: HTML Review
- Define HTML and review its history
- Look at XHTML and its relationship to HTML
- Identify HTML limitations and improvements
Lesson: Introduction to HTML5
- HTML5 Overview
- HTML5 Semantic Structure
- HTML5 Forms
- HTML5 Media Delivery
Session: Introduction to CSS
Lesson: CSS Basics
- Learn the basics of CSS
- Meaning of cascading in CSS
- Declaring CSS within your HTML page
- Creating styles in an external CSS file
- Control how to display and position HTML elements
- Overriding standard tag behavior
- Adding new classes
- Using custom classes in your page
Lesson: CSS3 Overview
- What is new in CSS3
- The Advantages of CSS3
- Browser Support for CSS3
Lesson: CSS3 Advanced Selectors
- Selecting Using Attributes
- Selecting Using DOM Structure
- Complex Selecting using Pseudo-Classes
- Selecting Using UI Components and State
Lesson: CSS3 Visual Effects
- Font Options, Opacity, and Color
- Distributing Content Across Columns
- Working with Borders and Boxes
- Working with Vendor Prefixes
- Functional Techniques
- Variables and Operators
- Flow Control and Conditionals
Lesson: Debugging Tools
- Using the strict mode and setting breakpoints
- Browser debugging tools
- Monitoring resource usage and performance
- Invoking Functions
- Function Constructor
- Function Scope and Closures
- Working with Numbers and Dates
- Events and Event Handling
- HTML Document Object Model
- Accessing the DOM
- Dynamically Working with the DOM
- DOM Challenges
- Constructors and Prototypes
- Extending Classes with Prototype
- Reusable, Flexible Classes
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work. Any courseware of lab materials provided in a cloud (if applicable) will also be made available to you separately.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment, or local installation, is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. We can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.