Introduction to DevOps in the Enterprise / DevOps Overview is an engaging seminar / workshop style format course geared for IT team members new to DevOps and its supporting components, benefits, structure, skills, tools and technologies. Typical attendees might include various operations or other non-developer focused team members who need to prepare to use the various tools under the DevOps umbrella.
This course combines expert lecture, real-world, practical related examples and demonstrations and group discussions. Led by our expert practitioner attendees will explore:
- What is DevOps, in Business and IT
- DevOps in the Enterprise: Architecture; Where it fits, Scaling DevOps; Getting and Measuring Results
- DevOps Principles: DevOps and Related SDLC Processes; Agile; Test Cycles
- DevOps Culture: Stakeholders, Roles and Team
- Practicing DevOps: CI / CD
- Automation Practices and the DevOps Lifecycle
- Related Technology: Virtualization, Microservices. Containers and more
- Core DevOps Technology (Overview, Architecture, Install, Writing and Executing)
- Next Steps: Getting Started Adopting a DevOps Culture, Risks & Rewards, Measuring Success
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional DevOps, Containers, CI/CD, DevOps, GIT / GitHub / GITLab, Docker, security, programming, and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs.
This course is appropriate for individuals and organizations seeking a foundational understanding of DevOps, specifically:
- Employees and managers responsible for designing, reengineering or improving process
- Consultants guiding their clients through process improvement initiatives
- Internal and external suppliers
- Process stakeholders
The course includes examples that can be used as “follow-along” hands-on labs if desired by attendees. For attendees seeking to follow along with the optional hands-on labs, an understanding of Unix Shell is beneficial but not required.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
What is DevOps?
- The Goals of DevOps
- Why the Business Should Care
- Demonstrated Results
- DevOps at Scale in the Enterprise
- Fighting the Complexity bogey
- Application Dev
- DevOps and Related SDLC Processes
- Integration with Agile (XP, Kahnban, SCRUM)
- Dev/Test Cycle
- Creating the Culture
- Characteristics of a DevOps Culture
- The People Impact of DevOps
- Continuous Integration and Delivery
- Continuous Deployment
- Automation Practices
- The DevOps Lifecycle
- OpenStack (101)
Core DevOps Technology (Overview, Architecture, Install, Writing and Executing)
- Puppet; Chef
- Ansible; Docker; Jenkins
- Clicker (Orchestration)
- Getting Started Adopting a DevOps Culture
- Challenges, Risks and Critical Success Factors
- Measuring Progress and Success
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work or demos.