Introduction to C++ Programming / C++ Essentials is a skills-focused, hands-on C++ training course geared for experienced programmers who need to learn C++ coupled with sounds coding skills and best practices for OO development. Students will leave this course armed with the required skills to put foundation-level C++ programming skills right to work in a practical environment.
The central concepts of C++ syntax and style are taught in the context of using object-oriented methods to achieve reusability, adaptability and reliability. Emphasis is placed on the features of C++ that support abstract data types, inheritance, and polymorphism. Students will learn to apply the process of data abstraction and class design. Practical aspects of C++ programming including efficiency, performance, testing, and reliability considerations are stressed throughout. Comprehensive hands on exercises are integrated throughout to reinforce learning and develop real competency.
NOTE: This course is for experienced developers. Students new to Programming should consider our TTCP2000 Basic C++ Programming for Non-Programmers, which combines and introduction to programming with basic C++ coding skills.
*Ways To Learn!*
- Attend a Class! For your convenience, this course is available on our online-live Public Schedule. Please see the current scheduled dates listed below. Please ask if you don't see a date you'd prefer. Be also be sure to check out our current Special Offers for extra savings for individuals, small groups or corporate rates for your organization.
- Team Training! We're also happy to deliver this as a private event for your team or organization, tailored to suit your needs. See our Training Solutions page for details.
- Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.
This “skills-centric” course is about 50% hands-on lab and 50% lecture, designed to train attendees in basic coding with C++, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices. Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will learn:
- Writing procedural programs using C++
- Using private, public and protected keywords to control access to class members
- Defining a class in C++
- Writing constructors and destructors
- Writing classes with const and static class members
- Overloading operators
- Implementing polymorphic methods in programs
- Writing programs using file I/O and string streams
- Using manipulators and stream flags to format output
- Using the keyword template to write generic functions and classes
- Writing programs that use generic classes and functions
- Writing programs that use algorithms and containers of the Standard Library
- Apply object-oriented design techniques to real-world programming problems
Need different skills or topics?
- Using algorithms and containers of the Standard Library to manipulate string data
- Understand how C++ protects the programmer from implementation changes in other modules of an application
- Using try() blocks to trap exceptions
- Using catch() blocks to handle exceptions
- Defining exceptions and using throw to trigger them
If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional C++, programming, development, design, testing, services, application security and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs
This is an introductory-level C++ programming course designed for developers with experience programming in C or other languages. Practical hands-on prior programming experience and knowledge is required.
NOTE: This course is for experienced developers. Students new to Programming should consider our Basic C++ Programming for Non-Programmers, which combines and introduction to programming with basic C++ coding skills.
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Learning Path recommendations.
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work. Any courseware of lab materials provided in a cloud (if applicable) will also be made available to you separately.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment, or local installation, is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. We can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.