Getting Started with React Native is a hands-on, intermediate level web development course geared for experienced web developers who need to build and design applications using React Native. Students will explore the core APIs and Components, applying these skills to the course case study project to create a React Native app in class.
*Ways To Learn!*
- Attend a Class! For your convenience, this course is available on our online-live Public Schedule. Please see the current scheduled dates listed below. Please ask if you don't see a date you'd prefer. Be also be sure to check out our current Special Offers for extra savings for individuals, small groups or corporate rates for your organization.
- Team Training! We're also happy to deliver this as a private event for your team or organization, tailored to suit your needs. See our Training Solutions page for details.
- Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.
Our engaging instructors and mentors are highly experienced practitioners who bring years of current "on-the-job" experience into every classroom. Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will learn about and explore:
- React Native Essentials
- React Fundamentals: 7 steps of app development
- Building a React Native App / Case Study
- Core Components
- Core APIs
This is an intermediate-level course for web developers with prior practical experience working with React.
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Follow-On Courses and Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We will work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Day One to Three
React Native: An Introduction
- What Is React Native, Exactly?
- What Does React Native Bring to the Table?
- Pros & Cons
- Introduction to React Native
- How to Get React Native
- Baby Steps: A First App
Getting Started with React Native
- Weather App
- Starting the project
- Custom components
- Breaking the app into components
- 7 step process
- Step 2: Build a static version of the app
- Step 3: Determine what should be stateful
- Step 4: Determine in which component each piece of state should live
- Step 5: Hardcode initial states
- Step 6: Add inverse data flow
- Updating timers
- Deleting timers
- Adding timing functionality
- Add start and stop functionality
- Methodology review
Core Components, Part 1
- What are components?
- Building an Instagram clone
Core Components, Part 2
Core APIs, Part 1
- Building a messaging app
- Initializing the project
- The app
- Network connectivity indicator
- The message list
- Input Method Editor (IME)
Core APIs, Part 2
Day Four to Five or Time Permitting
- Navigation in React Native
- Contact List
- Starting the project
- Container and Presentational components
- React Navigation
- Stack navigation
- Tab navigation
- Drawer navigation
- Sharing state between screens
- Deep Linking
- Benefits of Using Flow
- Jest with React Native
- Snapshot Testing with Jest
Building and publishing
- Building with Expo
- Handling Updates
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work. Any courseware of lab materials provided in a cloud (if applicable) will also be made available to you separately.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment, or local installation, is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. We can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.