Getting Started with Programming, OO and Java Basics for Non-Developers is a skills-focused, hands-on coding course that teaches you the fundamentals of programming object oriented (OO) applications with Java to a basic level, using sound coding skills and best practices for OO development.
Learning how to code and become a modern software developer is like trying to learn and become fluent in a new spoken language. Learning any new language takes study, practice, more study, and more practice, to truly be able put your newly learned skills to work in a practical way. This course won't make you an experienced developer in the five days we have with you, but we'll ensure that you're provided with a solid introduction to coding basics, along with real hands-on experience programming in Java. All while focused on learning how to Think Like a Programmer. Please note that this course is for beginners new to programming, but it is technical in nature. Our instructors are there to guide you through the process and provide you with a trusted platform to dig into something new, ask questions, and leave the class ready to take the next steps in your learning journey.
Throughout the course, you’ll explore the application development cycle, structure of programs, and specific language syntax. The course introduces important algorithmic constructs, string and character manipulation, dynamic memory allocation, standard I/O, and fundamental object-oriented programming concepts. The course explains the use of inheritance and polymorphism early on so you can practice these skills extensively in the hands-on labs. Structured programming techniques and error handling are emphasized. The course includes the processing of command line arguments and environment variables, so you’ll be able write flexible, user-friendly programs. You’ll leave this course armed with the required skills to begin your learning journey as a Java programmer using modern coding skills and technologies.
Working in a hands-on learning environment, led by our engaging Java team members, you'll explore:
- The steps involved in the creation and deployment of a computer program
- What OO programming is and what the advantages of OO are in today's world
- How to work with objects, classes, and OO implementations
- The basic concepts of OO such as encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism, and abstraction
- The basic constructs that all programming languages share
- The basic Java constructs supporting processing as well as the OO orientation
- How to use Java exception handling
- About and how to use classes, inheritance and polymorphism
- About use collections, generics, autoboxing, and enumerations
- How to take advantage of the Java tooling that is available with the programming environment being used in the class
Need different skills or topics? If you or your team requires different (or additional) topics, tools, or skills covered in this course to better meet your specific needs, our team can collaborate with yours to design a training plan and agenda that truly meets your learning goals. We offer additional Java, JEE and Java for Web application development, design, testing, services, secure coding and other related topics, courses and resources that can be blended into this course to ensure your learning experience is truly focused and productive. Please ask for details.
This course is intended for anyone who is new programming, and wants to start learning how to code using Java. Please note that although this course is for beginner-level students, it is technical in nature. If you're moving from a truly non-technical role into coding for the first time, please reach out to us for some additional guidance or light course prep suggestions which can really be helpful before you jump into this course head-on. We want your experience to be exciting, challenging and useful, without being overwhelming. We're here to help!
You're a good fit for this course if you're:
- New to coding but want some exposure to basic coding skills, or want to begin the process of becoming an Object Oriented application developer
- A technical team member from a non-developer roles, who may be looking to re-skill to move into software and application development roles within an organization
- A recent college graduates looking to apply their college experience to programming skills in a professional environment, or perhaps need to learn the best practices and standards for programming within their new organization
- A technical managers tasked with overseeing programming teams, or development projects, where basic coding knowledge and exposure will be useful in project oversight or communications needs
Before attending this course, you must have:
- Ability to use computers to start programs, open and save files, navigate application menus and interfaces
- Ability to understand logical concepts such as comparisons
- Understand number theory
- Ability to create, understand, and follow structured directions or step-by-step procedures
- Ability to understand and apply abstract concepts to concrete examples
NOTE: Although this course is geared for non-developers, it is helpful for attendees to have some background in IT and to be comfortable working with computers, with the ultimate goal to become a Java software developer. Students coming from entirely different, non-IT related fields might consider the TTCODE101-J Introduction to Programming & Coding with Java as an alternative. The TTCODE101-J offers a slower paced introduction to coding basics more suitable to attendees less experienced with IT, who are just beginning their exploration of programming and coding.
Please see the Related Courses Tab for options.
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work. Any courseware of lab materials provided in a cloud (if applicable) will also be made available to you separately.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. We can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.