C++ and Programming Basics for Non-Programmers is a five-day, basic-level training course geared for IT candidates who have little or no prior experience in computer programming. Throughout this gentle introduction to programming and C++, students will learn to create applications and libraries using C++ using best practices and sound OO development techniques for writing object-oriented programs in C++. Special emphasis is placed on object-oriented concepts and best practices throughout the training.
*Ways To Learn!*
- Attend a Class! For your convenience, this course is available on our online-live Public Schedule. Please see the current scheduled dates listed below. Please ask if you don't see a date you'd prefer. Be also be sure to check out our current Special Offers for extra savings for individuals, small groups or corporate rates for your organization.
- Team Training! We're also happy to deliver this as a private event for your team or organization, tailored to suit your needs. See our Training Solutions page for details.
- Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All courses also include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.
This “skills-centric” course is about 50% hands-on lab and 50% lecture, designed to train attendees in basic coding with C++, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices. Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will learn:
- Learn about basic computer architecture (memory, CPU, IO)
- Gain basic knowledge of the C++ programming language, features and functions in today’s development initiatives
- Gain hands-on practice using C++ basic syntax and functions to build basic software applications
- Learn about Object Oriented development and best practices
- Learn and apply core development functions such as dynamic memory, inheritance, value type / reference types, exceptions and more
- Get a light introduction to the C++ Standard Library
- Gain skills required to exit the course with a foundation in basic programming skills and C++ knowledge to carry forward to additional study and practice.
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional C++, programming, development, design, testing, services, application security and other related topics that may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your needs. Our team will collaborate with you to understand your needs and will target the course to focus on your specific learning objectives and goals.
This basic course is intended for anyone who is new to software development and wants, or needs, to gain an understanding of the fundamentals of coding and basics of C++ and object-oriented programming concepts.
Attendees might include:
- Technically-minded attendees who want or who want to begin the process of becoming an OO application developer
- Technical team members from non-development roles, re-skilling to move into software and application development roles within an organization
- Recent college graduates looking to apply their college experience to programming skills in a professional environment, or perhaps needing to learn the best practices and standards for programming within their new organization
- Technical managers tasked with overseeing programming teams, or development projects, where basic coding knowledge and exposure will be useful in project oversight or communications needs
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Ability to use computers to start programs, open and save files, navigate application menus and interfaces
- Ability to understand logical concepts such as comparisons
- Understand number theory
- Ability to create, understand, and follow structured directions or step-by-step procedures
- Ability to understand and apply abstract concepts to concrete examples
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses that offer similar skills or topics, and next-step Learning Path recommendations.
Please note that this list of topics is based on our standard course offering, evolved from typical industry uses and trends. We’ll work with you to tune this course and level of coverage to target the skills you need most.
Introduction to programming
- Basic computer architecture (memory, CPU, IO)
- Programming languages
Overview of C++
C++ General Language Features
- Basic syntax
- Data types
- Program flow
- Intro Functions
Introduction to Object-Oriented Features
- Overview of O-O concepts
- Static (class members)
- Object Relationships
- Abstract Types
- Object Lifecycle
- Base Classes
- Derived Classes
- Overriding members
- Abstract members and classes
Value Types vs Reference Types
- Defining custom exceptions
Intro C++ Std Library
- I/O classes
Student Materials: Each participant will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and resource links. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work. Any courseware of lab materials provided in a cloud (if applicable) will also be made available to you separately.
Hands-On Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure our ‘easy-access’ cloud-based course environment, or local installation, is accessible, fully-tested and verified as ready to go well in advance of the course start date, ensuring a smooth start to class and effective learning experience for all participants. We can also help you install this course locally if preferred. Please inquire for details and options.
Every-Course Extras = High-Value & Long-Term Learning Support! All Public Schedule courses include our unique EveryCourse Extras package (Post-Course Resource Site access with Review Labs & Live Instructor Follow-on Support, access to QuickSkills recorded High-Value lessons, Free *Live* Course Refresh Re-Takes, early access to Special Offers, Free Courses & more). Please inquire for details.