Basic Java 8 Programming for Developers New to OO is a five-day, hands-on Java training course geared for developers who have little or no prior working knowledge of object-oriented programming languages (such as those working on (C, COBOL, 4GL, etc.) Throughout the course students learn the best practices for writing great object-oriented programs in Java 8, using sound development techniques, new improved features for better performance, and new capabilities for addressing rapid application development. Special emphasis is placed on object oriented concepts and best practices.
NOTE: This course is offered for Java 8, Java 11 (for Java 9 to 11) LTS editions, or most current editions. Please inquire for details.
This “skills-centric” course is about 50% hands-on lab and 50% lecture, designed to train attendees in core OO coding and Java development skills, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices. Our engaging instructors and mentors are highly experienced practitioners who bring years of current "on-the-job" experience into every classroom.
Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will learn to:
- Understand what OO programming is and what the advantages of OO are in today's world
- Work with objects, classes, and OO implementations
- Understand the basic concepts of OO such as encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism, and abstraction
- Understand not only the fundamentals of the Java language, but also its importance, uses, strengths and weaknesses
- Understand the basics of the Java language and how it relates to OO programming and the Object Model
- Learn to use Java exception handling
- Understand and use classes, inheritance and polymorphism
- Understand and use collections, generics, autoboxing, and enumerations
- Become familiar with the concept of functional programming using Lambda Expressions
- Process large amounts of data using the Stream API introduced in Java 8
- Discover the new Date/Time API
- Use the JDBC API for database access
- Work with annotations
- Take advantage of the Java tooling that is available with the programming environment being used in the class
- Java 8 Features: Lambda Expressions, Method and Constructor references, The Streams API, Collectors, The Optional class
Need different skills or topics? If your team requires different topics or tools, additional skills or custom approach, this course may be further adjusted to accommodate. We offer additional Java and Java EE programming, design, testing and application security courses which may be blended with this course for a track that best suits your development objectives. Our team will collaborate with you to understand your needs and will target the course to focus on your specific learning objectives and goals.
This is an basic-level Java programming course, designed for experienced developers who wish to get up and running with Java, or who need to reinforce sound Java coding practices, immediately. Attendees should have a working knowledge of developing OO software applications.
Follow-On Courses / Take After: Our core Java training courses provide students with a solid foundation for continued learning based on role, goals, or their areas of specialty. Our Java developer learning paths offer a wide variety of follow-on courses such as:
- Continued Java & JEE training: Intermediate to Advanced Java, JEE Essentials, Java for Web, Spring / Spring Boot, Microservices / Web Services / REST, Reactive Java Programming / RxJava, Tuning & Performance, Design Patterns & More
- TDD / Test Driven Development, JUnit / Unit Testing, Agile development training
- Secure Java Coding / Java Security and secure application development training
- Mobile developer / Android training
Please see the Related Courses tab for specific Pre-Requisite courses, Related Courses or Follow On training options. Our team will be happy to help you with recommendations for next steps in your Learning Journey.
Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, step-by-step written lab instructions, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Hands-on Setup Made Simple! Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure your student machines and learning environment is setup, tested and ready to go well in advance of the course delivery date, ensuring a smooth start to class and seamless hands-on experience for your students. We offer several flexible student machine setup options including guided manual set up for simple installation directly on student machines, or cloud based / remote hosted lab solutions where students can log in to a complete separate lab environment minus any installations, or we can supply complete turn-key, pre-loaded equipment to bring ready-to-go student machines to your students or in-person facility. Please inquire for details.