Geared for experienced Tableau users with data analysis background and interests, Advanced Tableau is a two-day, lab intensive hands-on course that deep dives into next-level data analytics using Tableau. Students will explore: Data Visualization with Tableau from basics to advanced, Data Organization and Scripting, Visualization, Playing with Time Dimension, Incremental Loading and Blending, and Integrating Tableau with R and Hadoop.
NOTE: The Tableau Training Series is independent-format training that can be tuned and adjusted to best meet your needs. Our materials are flexible, comprehensive, and are always instructed by a senior instructor with a deep understanding of Tableau and its most current features, benefits and functionality in a wide array of uses. This is not Official Tableau Training.
Working within an engaging, hands-on learning environment led by our Tableau expert practitioner, attendees will learn to:
- Understand why Data Visualization is Needed
- Connect to the databases and make basic charts and graphs.
- Make Advance Charts and Graphs.
- Learn scripting functionality and organizing data for effective results.
- Learn about more advanced visualizations for various analytical requirements
- Create Time based calculations.
- Use location analytics capabilities to put geographic and other spatial context to your analysis.
- Blend and arrange your data from multiple source systems for effective analysis.
- Learn how to Integrate Tableau with R and Hadoop, Statistical Analytics, and social media analytics.
- Work in real time environment for Tableau Projects. one mini project will be provided with business scenarios.
This is an advanced-level Tableau course geared for experienced Tableau users.
1. Introduction to Data Visualization with Tableau
Why Data Visualization is Needed
- Making sense out of Numbers
- Uses of Tableau
- Features of Tableau.
2. Basic Visualization Design
Connect to the databases and make basic charts and graphs.
- Exporting Data
- Connecting Sheets
- Loading into Tableau visualization engine.
- Basic visualizations: Text Tables, Bar, Line, Pie charts,
- Basic maps; interpreting the same.
3. Visualizations Deep Dive
Make Advance Charts and Graphs.
- Highlight Tables
- Heat Maps, Circle Plots, Side by Side Bars, Continues Lines, Scatter Plots, Dual Charts, Area Charts, Tree Maps.
4. Data Organization and Scripting
Learn scripting functionality and organizing data for effective results.
- Calculated Metrics
- Sorting, Filtering
- Totals and Sub Totals
- Various Aggregated Measures, Percentages,
- Data Spotlighting, Summary Card.
- Date and time functions, String Functions and logical functions
- Data Items,
- Data behind your views
- Hierarchies, Sets, Groups, Bins.
5. The World is Your Visualization
Learn about more advanced visualizations for various analytical requirements
- Dual Charts, Dual Axis, Combination charts, Gantt Charts for activity tracking,
- Motion Charts, Box and Whisker Plots
- Reference Lines, Reference Bands
- Pareto Analysis
- Water Fall Charts
- Market Basket Analysis.
6. Playing with Time Dimension
Create Time based calculations.
- Quick Table Calculations, Custom Table Calculations, YTD
- Parallel Period, Moving Averages, Running totals, Window Averages, Trend Lines and Predictive Models.
7. What is Your Location?
Location analytics capabilities to put geographic And other spatial context to your analysis.
- Filled Maps, Symbol Maps
- Geo Coding
- Online Maps
- Sorting in Maps
- Background Maps.
8. Incremental Loading and Blending
Blend and arrange your data from multiple source systems for effective analysis.
- Data Blending from multiple source systems
- Custom SQL Queries
- Creating Incremental Loads
- Creating File Extractions
9. Integrating Tableau with R and Hadoop
Integration of Tableau with R and Hadoop, Statistical Analytics, and social media analytics.
- Connect to Hadoop Systems from Tableau
- Integrating Tableau with R
- Connecting to R Server Parameterized R calls
- Mean, Median, Mode, Standard Deviation,
- Forecasting Models
10. Case Study – Optional
Sharing Insights with Enterprise Dashboards: Work in real time environment for Tableau Projects. one mini project will be provided with business scenarios. Understand the requirement and creating various dashboards, story boards, deploying your dashboards for the project.
- Mini end-end project with Business case study. Interactive Dashboards, Action Filters, Story Boards, Best Practices, Cover Pages, Annotations, Tool Tips, keyboard short cuts, Legends, Sharing your work, Deploying to server, Tableau Online, Tableau Reader, and Tableau Public.
Each student will receive a course Student Guide, complete with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, diagrams and related reference materials and links. Our courses also include detailed step by step hands-on lab instructions and project files (as necessary) and solutions, clearly illustrated for users to complete hands-on work in class, and to revisit to review or refresh skills at any time. Students will also receive the course set up files, project files (if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.